Vaginal atrophy is a common condition that most often affects postmenopausal women. It is usually caused by a decline in estrogen levels which can make the walls of the vagina thinner and inflamed. The condition can lead to a variety of unpleasant symptoms, such as:
- Bleeding after intercourse
- Itching around the genitals
- Pain or discomfort during sexual intercourse
- Reduced vaginal lubrication, especially during sexual activity
- Vaginal dryness, soreness, and burning
- Vaginal laxity
MonaLisa Touch is an innovative and gentle treatment aimed at alleviating symptoms associated with vaginal atrophy. Treatment works by delivering low-power laser energy to the vaginal wall tissue, to stimulate the production of collagen, elastin, and blood vessels. It promotes a healing response by supplying essential oxygen and nutrients to problematic areas and helping restore balance in the mucous membranes.
What Are the Benefits of the Treatment?
MonaLisa Touch is a quick, nonsurgical procedure, with treatment sessions lasting as little as five minutes each. The treatment is hormone-free, requires no anesthesia, has little to no downtime, and has minimal side effects, making it an ideal option for many women
MonaLisa Touch has been found to offer a number of benefits, such as:
- Enhanced functionality of the vagina
- Improved confidence and self-esteem
- Increased sexual pleasure
- Increased vaginal lubrication
- Reduced recurrence of chronic vaginal infections
- Symptom relief for urinary problems (e.g., mild incontinence)
- Treatment can be customized to suit your individual needs
- Vaginal rejuvenation
How the Procedure Works
MonaLisa Touch involves inserting a small probe carefully into the vagina. Gentle laser energy is delivered via a side-firing probe to the tissue of the vaginal wall. The two-part pulse targets the vaginal epithelial lining and lamina propria (the lost connective tissue in the vaginal mucosa) to revitalize and strengthen the elasticity of the vaginal wall and to restore balance in the vaginal mucosa.
You may experience some discomfort the first time the probe is inserted, but the treatment itself is generally well tolerated—with many patients reporting that it feels like a gentle vibration.
Treatment is typically performed in three sessions over an 18-week period (one every six weeks). Annual maintenance treatments are also usually recommended.
Am I a Candidate?
The MonaLisa Touch is suitable for any woman who wants to avoid undergoing hormone replacement therapy and experiencing:
- Mild urinary incontinence
- Vaginal dryness, soreness, or itching
- Decline in estrogen levels due to menopause, a hysterectomy, or breast cancer treatment
- Decreased sexual sensation
MonaLisa Touch in Miami, FL
If you would like to find out more about MonaLisa Touch and whether you are a candidate for the procedure, consult one of our board-certified gynecologists here at Levin’s Women’s Health & Wellness Center. We provide comprehensive and personalized women’s healthcare services that you can count on at every stage of your life.
Call us at (305) 981-0231 or use our online appointment request form to arrange a consultation with one of our gynecologists.