Seeking obstetrics and gynecology services in the North Miami, FL, area? Here’s what you should know about Levin’s Women’s Health & Wellness Center and what we provide for women like you.
What Is Obstetrics And Gynecology?
Obstetrics is the medical specialty that cares for women before and during pregnancy, and in the immediate period after delivery of a baby. Additionally, an obstetrician cares for the unborn baby from the earliest of fetal development to full-term and beyond.
Partnering with obstetrics is gynecology, the branch of medicine that takes care of the female reproductive system. A gynecologist has advanced training in the evaluation of the ovaries, fallopian tubules, uterus, vagina and external structures of the female reproductive tract. They also diagnose and treat female diseases, structural abnormalities, and the natural effects of aging.
Obstetrics and gynecology normally go together in one medical practice. At Levin’s Women’s Health and Wellness Center in North Miami, FL, Dr. Daniel Levin and Dr. Joan Alvarez are board-certified in obstetrics and gynecology. They help women feel their best and enjoy optimal reproductive health and sexual function.
The Most Common Obstetrical Services and Procedures
Serving women of reproductive age, your OB/GYN doctor offers:
- Pre-conception counseling and testing
- Birth control (both permanent and temporary methods)
- Care for high-risk pregnancies
- Prenatal care from pregnancy testing to post-partum care
- Vaginal and surgical deliveries (C-section and VBAC)
- Fetal assessment and monitoring throughout pregnancy and the immediate post-partum period
Your obstetrician/gynecologist is your best resource for reproductive health maintenance and treatment.
The Most Common Gynecological Services and Procedures
For women of all ages, gynecologists monitor, evaluate, and treat chronic conditions of the reproductive system and genitourinary tract. Cancer screening for the breast, cervix, and uterus fall under the purview of a gynecologist.
This highly skilled physician treats:
- Menstrual problems, including missing, painful, or prolonged menstrual periods and premenstrual syndrome (PMS)
- Sexually-transmitted diseases (STDs), such as HPV, gonorrhea, and syphilis
- Ovarian cysts
- Uterine fibroids and endometriosis
- Urinary tract and vaginal infections
- Symptoms of menopause
Surgeries performed by gynecologists include:
- Hysterectomy (including daVinci robotic procedures)
- Endometrial ablation for endometriosis and heavy periods
- Colposcopy, a detailed inspection of the cervix
- Ultrasound examinations
- Well-woman visits to include PAP smear and breast exam
- Loop electrosurgical excision procedures (LEEP) for tissue sampling
- Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) during and after menopause
- Medical and surgical treatment of urinary incontinence (such as pelvic floor therapy)
In addition, a skilled OB/GYN helps women with issues of sexual function. MonaLisa touch, an in-office laser therapy to treat vaginal laxity and dryness, is just one of many different sexual wellness procedures offered by these specialists.
OB/GYN in North Miami, FL
We invite you to learn more about women’s health and wellness. Please call (305) 981-0231 for a consultation with Dr. Levin or Dr. Alvarez, or book your appointment online. We also offer convenient and safe telehealth visits at Levin’s Women’s Health & Wellness Center.