Whether it is due to genetics or hormonal changes that take place during puberty, after childbirth, or due to aging, some women are self-conscious about the appearance or structure of their genitalia. For such women, the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) protrudes beyond the labia majora (outer lips), adding reduced sexual desire, poor self-esteem, and discomfort with undergarments or during intercourse to the list of physical and emotional distress.
Fortunately, a relatively simple, low-risk cosmetic procedure known as labiaplasty can address the issue by reshaping the labia tissue for a more comfortable and aesthetically attractive appearance.
Let’s take a closer look at how labiaplasty is performed and its significant benefits.
How Labiaplasty Is Performed
There are several ways in which a specially trained obstetrician-gynecologist (OBGYN) can perform a labiaplasty. The two most common techniques are the trim and wedge procedures, both of which are performed under local or general anesthesia.
With a trim procedure, excess skin of the labia minora is removed to prevent the tissue from hanging or sagging beyond the labia majora. Your surgeon then uses dissolvable sutures to close the edges of the labia majora, resulting in a small, practically invisible scar along the edges of the vaginal lips.
With a wedge procedure, a portion of labia minora tissue is removed and the remaining tissue is then stitched back together. This results in a small scar that is away from the labial edge.
There is little pain or discomfort involved in labiaplasty. In fact, most patients can return to their regular daily activities within just one or two weeks. However, you should refrain from sexual intercourse following labiaplasty for three weeks to allow complete healing.
The Benefits of Labiaplasty
Labiaplasty offers women many positive results besides a more youthful, rejuvenated appearance to their genitalia. Other common benefits include:
- Reduced physical and psychological discomfort. The procedure eliminates chafing, tugging, and twisting, thereby making daily activities more enjoyable. It also reduces the embarrassment and self-consciousness that comes with having an excessively large or uneven labia.
- Improved sexual pleasure. Labiaplasty reduces the impediments to enjoyable sexual intercourse. It also increases your accessibility to pleasure by reducing excess skin around the clitoris.
- Greater comfort while exercising. Whereas an enlarged or uneven labia can interfere with physical activities, such as running and cycling, labiaplasty can make your workout routine more comfortable and effective. That, in turn, can result in improvements to your health and general well-being.
- Better clothing fit. Labiaplasty can reduce or eliminate the chafing and uncomfortable pressure you are experiencing when wearing tight clothing such as swimsuits, yoga pants, or fitted blue jeans.
- Improved personal hygiene. It’s harder to maintain hygiene with excess vaginal tissue. Labiaplasty helps resolve that issue.
- Improved self-confidence. If you are self-conscious about your genitalia, it can create intimacy anxiety, affect your personal relationships, or cause you embarrassment when wearing tight clothing. Labiaplasty can reduce your anxiety and make you feel more confident in both your public and private life.
Vaginal Aesthetic in Miami, Florida
At Levin’s Women’s Health & Wellness Center, we understand and are sensitive to your vaginal aesthetic concerns. Accordingly, Dr. Levin and Dr. Alvarez, along with our entire staff, will treat you with the discretion and respect you deserve. Our goal is to provide you with the finest gynecological care so that you are not only pleased with your experience with us, but also feel good about your improved health and wellbeing.
For more information about vaginal rejuvenation and our other services, contact Levin’s Women’s Health & Wellness Center today at (305) 981-0231. Or, if you prefer, use our convenient online appointment request form to schedule a private consultation with one of our specialists.