If you are unhappy with the way your vaginal area looks or feels, or if you aren’t experiencing pleasurable sexual intercourse like you used to, you may be considering vaginoplasty, also known as vaginal rejuvenation. Simply put, vaginoplasty is an aesthetic procedure to construct or repair the vagina.
Aside from enhancing the outermost appearance of the vagina, vaginoplasty can help improve both your self-confidence and your ability to enjoy sexual activity. It also creates less itching and makes the vagina more elastic and pliable during intercourse.
Vaginoplasty is a viable treatment option for:
- Those seeking to improve sexual function after childbirth or trauma
- Women who require vaginal reconstruction after having undergone radiation or excision of the vagina to treat cancer or other conditions
- Women who were born with congenital abnormalities that affected the development of their vagina
- Transgender individuals who are undergoing gender affirmation surgery
Of course, the specific details of the procedure depend on your personal goals or medical needs. As such, vaginoplasty is performed using various surgical techniques.
Types of Surgical Options for Vaginal Rejuvenation
Vaginoplasty is just one type of procedure designed to improve the vagina’s appearance and/or function, known as vaginal rejuvenation. Other vaginal aesthetic procedures include:
- Labiaplasty, which modifies or decreases the size of the labia, or the fleshy lobes on either side of the vagina
- Vulvaplasty, which focuses on reshaping the outer part of the vagina, known as the vulva.
Assessment Before Vaginoplasty
Before undergoing vaginoplasty, patients are assessed and tested by their healthcare provider to prepare them for surgery. Preliminary measures often include:
- A physical examination to assess one’s health and learn more about their medical history
- Patient education on the risks, benefits, and postsurgical care requirements associated with vaginal rejuvenation
- Recommendations aimed at lowering one’s risk of complications, including quitting smoking
Vaginoplasty After Childbirth
When vaginoplasty is performed to repair injuries sustained after childbirth, the procedure involves:
- Removal of extra skin
- The use of sutures to secure loose tissue in part or the full depth of the vagina
- Reduction of the opening size of the vagina
Vaginoplasty to Repair Congenital Defects
Vaginoplasty designated to repair congenital defects (an issue you’re born with) may include:
- The creation of a functional vagina
- Removal of excess tissue or abnormal structures
- The prevention of blood pooling during menstruation
Gender Affirmation Surgery
For transgender women undergoing vaginoplasty for gender affirmation, there are specific pre-operative requirements. This may include permanent hair removal and the need to meet prerequisites set by the World Professional Association for Transgender Health.
During vaginoplasty as a part of gender affirmation surgery, the surgeon partially removes and reconfigures male external genitalia in such a way as to use the skin of the penis and scrotum to create a vaginal canal and labia.
Vaginoplasty in North Miami, Florida
The highly trained, experienced, and qualified doctors at Levin’s Women’s Health & Wellness Center go the extra mile to provide exceptional care. In addition to vaginoplasty, our comprehensive services include:
- Vaginal Labiaplasty
- DaVinci Minimally Invasive Robotic Surgery
- Pelvic Floor Therapy
- Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy
- Monalisa Touch®
- Cosmetic Services
Our board-certified OB/GYNs, Dr. Daniel Levin and Dr. Joan Alvarez, embrace the philosophy that every woman has her own unique needs. As such, we deliver the personalized health services women need to feel their absolute best regardless of their age or stage of life.
For more information about our exceptional services, including vaginal rejuvination procedures, call us today at (305) 981-0231 or request an appointment here. We look forward to exploring your options with you!