Ever since it was first performed decades ago, labiaplasty has helped countless women overcome the discomforts and self-confidence issues brought on by labial hypertrophy (labial enlargement).
If you’re unhappy with the way your labia look and want to find out if labiaplasty is indeed worth a shot, here are some basic details about the procedure you ought to know.
The Difference Between Labiaplasty and Other Vaginal Rejuvenation Treatments
Although they are performed on the same area of your body, vaginal rejuvenation and labiaplasty are two distinct procedures. Whereas vaginoplasty is done to address laxity, dryness, and incontinence, labiaplasty aims to decrease the size of the inner folds of your genitalia (labia minora) to make it symmetrical with the outer part (labia majora).
Do take note that one procedure is not performed to the exclusion of another. For instance, your gynecological surgeon can do vaginoplasty in conjunction with labiaplasty.
The Labiaplasty Procedure
There are several, different labiaplasty techniques available. These include the following:
- The trim procedure, in which the excess part of the labia minora is removed and sutured, making it symmetrical with the labia majora. This is the most common technique utilized by surgeons.
- The wedge procedure, in which a V-shaped wedge is removed from both sides of the labia minora. The layer of tissue beneath a mucous membrane (submucosa) is left intact, providing the vagina with a natural look and preserving the wrinkled edges.
Depending on the treatment plan you and your plastic surgeon have discussed, labiaplasty can be performed under local or general anesthesia within an hour, either individually or with another cosmetic procedure.
As you are no doubt aware, your vaginal opening is highly sensitive. As such, proper care following labiaplasty is imperative.
Your care team will provide you with detailed postoperative instructions, which can include following:
- Avoiding long showers and patting the wound dry after washing
- Taking antibiotics as prescribed by your surgeon to reduce pain and inflammation
- Avoiding bike riding, running, or other physical activities until permitted to do so
- Refraining from prematurely doing certain activities – including sexual intercourse for at least four weeks – that might exert pressure on the wound and delay the healing process
- Wearing loose clothing (including underwear) to avoid friction against the wound
Benefits of Labiaplasty
Labiaplasty has both functional and cosmetic benefits. To name a few, it effectively addresses the discomforts associated with labial hypertrophy. Tight clothing, sexual intercourse, and certain physical activities can put pressure on the area, resulting in irritation and pain. It also helps restore the look and function of your vaginal opening, helping you conquer your quality-of-life issues and enjoy sexual intercourse again.
Labiaplasty in Miami, Florida
At Levin’s Women’s Health & Wellness Center, our board-certified gynecological surgeons have a wealth of experience in labiaplasty and all other types of vaginal reconstruction procedures. Beyond providing outstanding services, we gladly help our patients understand their procedures and weigh their options, so that they can make the most educated decisions about their care.
To find out whether you’re a candidate for labiaplasty, contact our staff at (305) 981-0231 to schedule a consultation with one of our specialists. Alternatively, you may use our convenient appointment request form.